Monday, September 25, 2006

Scan for bile leakage

Today Kaelyn had what is called a Hide-a-scan (I am pretty sure that is not how it is spelled, but that is how it sounds). This scan uses radioactive liquid that is injected into the broviac line and is traced through the body with a camera. It took almost two hours to complete. Kaelyn did a pretty good job with it and even fell asleep about the last 10 minutes. The results were good, no leakage that could be seen. Tomorrow they are going to run a shorter version of the test to make sure there is no remaining radioactive particles in her system. If they find some it could mean that there is a small leak. But today's scan points to no leak. Yeah! So, they reason for the green drainage could be that it is an old hematoma that is only now being drained. I guess blood can turn a bile "ish" green color when it gets old.

We talked a little bit about when we get to take Kaelyn home today. It will probably be two more weeks. Her weaning off of the narcotics will most likely take that long to complete. She has just been on them too long to go any quicker.

Jacob is doing okay with all of this. He came to visit us in the hospital yesterday and I think we had a pretty good time. Right when he was leaving though, he asked me when he was going to see me again. That just about broke my heart. No 6 year old should have to worry about the next time he can see his mom, especially in a happily married, functioning family. That is one part of this whole experience that still makes my heart hurt. How is this going to affect Jacob. Though he has been quite brave and non-angry about the whole thing. He is such a special kid.

Once again, I put my trust in the Lord and pray that all will be well.

Angie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that you're still in my thoughts and prayers.
I know how bad it hurts to just want to be with all of your kids. During our first long hospital stay back in March, my 4 year old (who's now five) told my mother-in-law that his mom had died. You can imagine how that broke my heart. Then there are the time that my boys call me, crying, at bed time.
This is JUST NOT FUN!! I'll keep Jacob in my prayers as well.
Love, Megan

Anonymous said...

Thank you Angie for keeping this on line update. I pray for you and you family.
Love,
Sabrina

Anonymous said...

Getting closer all the time...

Jacob will be okay. Children are resilient, and he has always been left in loving hands. There will be plenty of time to focus more on him when you are back home.

We miss you guys bunches!