Tuesday, April 21, 2009

In ICU

Kaelyn was in surgery for about 5 hours yesterday. The surgeon explained that she has a whole lot of scar tissue and it took longer to get to where he needed to be. He actually had to extract the whole liver out of her body to get do what was needed. I was not aware that it was going to be that extensive of a surgery. He was able to go in and excavate the liver to the bile duct and put in a stent and suture the opening large enought that it should drain well. She is not feeling very good, obviously, but they did place an epidural to help with the pain. She will probably be in the ICU one more day. Her bilirubin is down, but some of her Liver functions are elevated. This is to be expected with that much handling of the liver.

I have to say that I miss Seattle Children's very much right now. The ICU here is not hospitable to parents, no parent bed in the room. I can't leave her there alone, so I slept in the rocking chair by her bed. There are many other things that I could rant about that are lacking here compared to Seattle, but I won't. Let's just leave it at I miss Seattle Children's.

I will try and update at time allows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie--Just logged on to check your Blog and I am shocked to hear all that has been going on for you with Kaelyn and those pesky bile ducts!! I will be keeping you in my throughs and prayers. Give Kaelyn a hug for me.
Much Love,
Nurse Anne

Anonymous said...

Does Primary have a patient services board? (--maybe not named that) You and other parents deserve a comfortable place to get some shut eye close to your little ones during those brief opportunities of exhaustion. Who do we need to talk to? Sending love and hugs your way. ~Aunt Fran

Anonymous said...

we miss you too! Thinking of you all.

Keli